Wednesday, 17 February 2010

The Introduction

"It's a relatively simple task," continued the stranger, "made up of three parts." Felix shoved another piece of bread and jam into his mouth, mostly because he didn't know quite what else to do. "You have twenty-four hours to complete each part, meaning I will be able to judge your suitability in three days time."
Felix quickly swallowed the chunk of bread and coughed. The man's eyes glowed fiercely.
"Erm...what trade will it be?"
The man's face crinkled and his lips drew back showing his teeth. He began to shake and finally released a great roar of laughter.
"Felix, Felix my boy!" He could hardly get the words out. "You mean you don't know? You haven't guessed?" He wiped his eyes, still laughing. "Forgive my rudeness, let me introduce myself. I am Shandor, the warlock!"
The ground tipped and Felix gripped the stool until he was steady again.
"You may wish to know that I choose only the most highly talented candidates. After all, you did not think that you failed Drevil's simple task by accident, did you? You were clever, my boy, but I got you in the end."

No comments:

Post a Comment